The number of people vaping in the UK has reached 3.6 million, and is only expected to rise. As such, the demand for vaping products such as e-liquids and kits continues to soar. But if you are new to vaping, how do you know where to begin?
If you are one of the many people who recently took up vaping, whether it be to quit tobacco products, to sample the world of CBD, or just out of curiosity, there’s bound to be a learning curve as you get to grips with your new device. Given the thousands of options available to you, including a variety of vape styles, sizes and liquids, finding the perfect starter combination can be daunting. Without sufficient guidance, you can quickly lose a lot of money buying and trying products that simply won't suit you.
In this guide, we tell you how to approach buying a vape starter kit. By the end of it, you’ll know:
- The different styles of vapes (and which is best for you)
- Whether you want disposable or refillable
- Best starter kits for different purposes
- How to get going with your vape
What Style of Vape Do You Need?Choosing a vaping starter kit isn’t the same for everyone. Each kit contains one of four styles of vape devices. These styles are:
- Cig-A-Likes: Vaping devices that mimic the look and feel of a cigarette in your hand. These vapes are great if you are switching from cigs to vapes and want to mimic the experience, but might have limited functionality.
- Vape Pens: As it sounds, this device is more pen-shaped. It’s portable and has a refillable cartridge (albeit, it won’t fit as much juice as a mod or pod).
- Pod Mods: This device is similar to a vape pen, but with slightly better functions. The vaping experience tends to be more intense, with better quality taste, You can buy open system pods (which can be refilled with juice) or closed system (which are prefilled and disposed of after use).
- Vape Mods: For the more experienced vaper (or heavy smoker) the Vape Mod is a more powerful tank device that offers excellent vape clouds, high quality taste and various airflow settings and coils.
If you are brand new to vaping and wish to find a vaping starter kit, we might recommend you opt for a Vape Pen or Pod Mod before trying a Vape Mod, as they will allow you to get used to vaping and are simple to use.
Refillable Vs Disposable
Before we talk more about starter kits, we want to explore whether or not you’d prefer a disposable or refillable vape device. Here are some pros and cons of each:
- Convenience: no fuss, no fiddly bits
- Small and discreet, can fit in your purse or pocket
- No maintenance
- No charging / you’ll never get caught out with a dead vape pen!
- No commitment: Great for those who aren’t wanting to make a larger investment in a permanent product.
- Expensive if you continue long term use
- Less variety in terms of juice flavours and strengths
- Not very environmentally friendly
- Good variety including flavours and strengths
- Less environmental impact
- Better quality flavour and vaping experience
- Customisable (depending on which style you go for)
- Maintenance is required, including replacing worn out parts like coils
- Can be tricker to learn how to use depending on the style
- Can run out of battery at an inconvenient moment
- Higher upfront cost
So, now that you have considered the style of e-cigarette you’d like to try, and also chosen whether to go for a refillable or disposable variety, we’d like to share with you some of our favourite starter kits.
The Best E-Cig Starter Kit For Quitting Smoking
If you are looking for an e-cigarette that mimics the feel of your tobacco cigarettes, we would recommend the Aspire Flexus Stik Kit. This vape allows you to select from two options - auto draw or button activated vaping, giving you more control over your experience. You can adjust your airflow to your preference and conjure incredibly powerful clouds using its rotation motion. Plus, one of the most impressive things about this e-cig is that it can last 2 whole days before running out of battery. In this kit you’ll get 1 Aspire Flexus Stik Device, 1 Aspire Flexus Stik Pod (2ml), 1 Aspire Flexus AF 0.6Ω mesh coil, 1 Aspire Flexus AF 1.0Ω mesh coil, a USB-C charging cable, a manual. Available in 6 colours.
- Brilliant for beginners
- Simple to use
- Long lasting battery
The Best Discreet and Stylish Vape Starter Kit
The Upends Uppen Vape Pen Kit contains a stylish and discreet vape pen (complete with 18K gold clip), refillable pod system, the latest flax-based coil technology which perfectly controls the running speed and working temperature of liquids, and a natural ergonomic design for comfortable use. The kit includes 1 Uppen battery, 1 Uppen refillable pod, 1 USB cable and 1 user guide and warranty card. Available in 3 colours.
- Extremely stylish and discreet
- Refillable and rechargeable
- Innovative coil technology for longevity
- Battery indicator
The Best Vape Mod Starter Kit
If you have tried other vapes and want to try a vape mod, or wish to jump straight to vaping tanks instead of pens, the Aspire Zelos X 80W Kit is a safe place to begin. It has a stylish and ergonomic design with an external 18650 battery offering a whopping 80W in power. You can also have it fit any 510 atomizer tanks and choose one of seven airflow options. If paired with the Nautilus 322 Tank, you can be guaranteed a quality MTL and flavour experience. Changing the coil is easy thanks to the press-fit coil system and for added convenience you can open the top cap and refill with any e-liquid you wish, without any spilling or hassle.
- Durable and long lasting
- Strong battery
- Wide customisation available
- Sleek, ergonomic design
- Press fit coil system for easy use
The Best Vape Kit For Easy Use
If you are looking for an e-cigarette that mimics the feel of your tobacco cigarettes, we would recommend the Shark EVOD-PTS01 Starter Kit. This kit features a basic filling and charging system, and the perfect amount of power to satisfy your nicotine craving. It comes with a 650mAh battery, a CE4 Clearomizer and a USB Charger. This cigarette can promise 300 recharges. Available in black or red.
- Brilliant for beginners
- Simple to use / charge and go
- Mimics a cigarette
The Best Vape Kit For The Safety Conscious
While all of our starter kits are verified as safe, we understand that some of you might want to take extra steps to ensure you are minimising all risks while vaping. That’s why we are pleased to offer the Smok Nord 50W Kit. This vaping pod has a maximum power of 50W with a white LED light that will directly alert you the status of the device. It also gives you the status of 6 safety functions if any issues arise. The safety features include atomizer protection, lithium-ion protection, low-voltage warning, 8 seconds cut-off, over-temperature protection and short circuit protection). This kit gives you 2 pods with an upgraded airflow system. The first pod is the Nord pod, compatible with the Nord coil series, and the other is a LP2 pod compatible with the LP2 coil series. You will also receive a type C cable and user manual. Available in 15 colours.
- Huge range of colours and textures
- 2 pods per pack
- Excellent power with large vape clouds
- 6 safety feature alerts
How To Get Going With Your Vape Starter Kit
Once you have chosen and ordered your vape starter kit, the first thing to do is read the instruction manual that comes with it. Feel free to also check out any online reviews and user guides available on our website. If your vape requires setup, do this carefully and per the instructions given. Always charge your vape properly before using it.
If you have not done so already, ensure you have purchased a range of vaping juices to try. If your vaping juice contains nicotine or CBD, check the strength is correct before putting it into your vape device.
Begin with very small mouth intakes (not direct to lung) to ensure the vape is working properly. Adjust your settings accordingly. Enjoy your vaping experience and if you have any trouble, you can get in touch with us for help.
If you are new to vaping, it might take some experimentation before finding the right vaping starter kit. Each of the starter kits listed above provide a unique experience for the user. First time using vaping products? We recommend you start low and slow, with a less expensive and less intense vaping device. From there, you can build up to a more sophisticated vaping experience as you gain confidence and knowledge.