If you’ve ever been serious about fitness, you probably already have pre- and post-workout meals planned to get the most out of your gym sessions. You can actually bring your exercise diet to the next level when you add one key ingredient to the mix: CBD.
By adding CBD to your workout recipes, you can enjoy a myriad of potential health benefits. For one, pre-workout CBD meals can help you maintain your energy levels, increase your focus, and stabilise your blood pressure. For post-workout, this can help you reduce pain, speed up recovery through its anti-inflammatory properties, and improve sleep to heal your body and prepare you for tomorrow’s workout.
Pre-Workout CBD Recipes
Whether you need to whip up something quick before you start your workout or you’re prepping for the next day’s session, these delicious recipes will give you the performance boost you need.
1. CBD Spinach Smoothie
Get a balance of healthy protein, carbs, fat, fibre, and CBD with this supercharged plant-based smoothie.
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups plant milk
- 1 medium banana (preferably frozen)
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds or oats or almond butter
- 20mg CBD tincture
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Stevia/agave or maple syrup to taste
- Blend spinach and plant milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients then blend until smooth.
2. CBD Lemon Bliss Balls
Enjoy a burst of sweet, fibre-rich lemony goodness with this vegan bliss ball recipe to jumpstart your workout.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract or ¼ vanilla bean or ⅛ teaspoon of vanilla bean powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- CBD isolate oil
- Soak dates in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Zest the large lemon.
- Blend cashews until they have a sand-like consistency, preferably using your food processor’s pulse feature to more accurately control the blend.
- Add dates, shredded coconut, chia seeds, lemon zest and juice, vanilla extract, salt, and CBD oil.
- Pulse the mixture until it combines well. If it doesn’t, add 1 teaspoon of water at a time until it does. Scrape the sides of the food processor in between pulses if necessary.
- Roll the mixture into 16 balls. You can roll it in extra shredded coconut.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour then enjoy.
- You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for 3 months.
3. Orange Honey CBD Overnight Oats
Keep up the pace of your exercise routine with the slow-release carbs in this overnight oat recipe from Stay Fit 305.
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ml orange CBD oil
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- ½ tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 or ½ banana or your preferred fruit
- Put oats in a bowl or glass.
- Add wet ingredients then stir lightly to mix with oats.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Add banana or preferred fruit on top in the morning.
4. CBD Peanut Butter Cookies
Load up on protein and fibre with peanut butter, stay focused with maca powder, and prepare for your workout recovery when you snack on these CBD cookies.
- 1 cup raw peanut butter
- ⅓ cup brown rice flour
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup CBD-infused honey
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 176°C.
- Stir dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients then stir until the mixture turns into a dough.
- Roll mixture into golf-ball-sized balls.
- Flatten balls on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Place cookies in oven and bake at 176℃ for about 15 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and let them cool completely.
- Remove cookies gently from baking sheet.
- You can store the cookies up to 1 week in an airtight container.
Post-Workout CBD Recipes
Feed your body what it needs after a draining workout with these CBD recipes to recharge for the rest of your day and maximise your gains.
1. Strengthening CBD Smoothie
This easy fruity smoothie recipe provides the protein your muscles need, the sugar to re-energise, and the CBD to relieve post-workout aches.
- 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup chopped peaches
- ¼ cup mango
- 1 banana
- 1 ml CBD oil
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- ¾ cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt
- Blend all ingredients until it reaches a smooth consistency.
2. CBD Lemon Pepper Chicken Bowl
Chow down on this tasty and filling meal that’s complete with meat, veggies, good carbs, and a dose of CBD to fuel your body’s recovery from an intense workout.
- 1 chicken breast
- ¾ cup broccoli
- ¾ cup chopped zucchini
- ¾ cup chopped brussel sprouts
- 1ml CBD oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ lemon
- ⅔ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cook chicken with olive oil in a skillet over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside chicken once it is cooked.
- Cut half of lemon into thin slices.
- Add veggies, lemon, and CBD to skillet then stir. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and lemon pepper.
- Turn down heat to medium-low then add quinoa,lemon juice, and chicken.
- Stir until mixed.
- Serve and enjoy!
3. CBD Power Salad
What this all-organic CBD salad lacks in leafy vegetables more than makes up for it with nutrient-packed nuts and legumes for a refreshing post-workout meal.
- ½ cup uncooked organic quinoa
- 1 cup organic vegetable stock
- ¼ cup organic hemp seeds
- ¼ cup organic pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup raw brazil nuts
- 1 can rinsed organic chickpeas
- ½ chopped organic red onion
- ¼ chopped jalapeno pepper
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1 sprig cilantro
- 2 tablespoons organic peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- Dash of grated ginger
- 15 drops orange CBD tincture
- 15 drops lemon CBD tincture
- Boil quinoa and vegetable stock in a covered saucepan for around 20 minutes.
- Put nuts and seeds on a baking sheet then toast in oven until golden.
- Mix vegetables with chickpeas in a bowl.
- Chop toasted nuts and mix in bowl of chickpeas and vegetables.
- Put peanut oil and dash of grated ginger in a bowl then whisk.
- Add apple cider vinegar to bowl then whisk.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl then toss.
- Add CBD tinctures to dressing.
- Add dressing to bowl then mix.
4. CBD-glazed Salmon
Get your fill of lean and clean protein after going hard in your workout with this savoury CBD salmon recipe.
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 cup organic honey
- ⅓ cup soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 teaspoon organic minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Lemon CBD tincture
- Pinch of sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 176°C.
- Put honey and soy sauce in a small bowl then whisk.
- Add garlic and ginger then whisk.
- Put salmon and dressing in a ziplock bag. Shake then put in fridge to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Put salmon on a greased baking pan then leave in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Pour remaining marinade to a saucepan then bring to boil.
- Reduce heat then let simmer for 2 minutes before turning heat off completely.
- Let marinade cool.
- Add CBD tincture just before marinade thickens then stir lightly.
- Glaze cooked salmon with CBD-infused marinade.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
Pump Up Your Workout Diet with CBD
As these recipes have shown, you can easily add CBD to your pre and post-workout meals. Take advantage of CBD’s versatility and optimise your exercise diet with all its added health benefits.
Since January 2019 CBD has been considered a ‘novel food’, meaning that you need to apply to the FSA for authorisation to sell it in the UK. At JM Wholesale, all the CBD products we stock are Novel food compliant, meaning you can buy with confidence, knowing they’re fully approved by the Food Standards Agency.
To find out more about CBD, or to purchase from the UK's leading CBD distributer, visit the JM wholesale website.